Monday, March 2, 2009

What My Puppy Has Taught Me, Part 3

This is Part 3 in what seems to be a never ending arch.

Playtime
Anyone that has watched the Dog Whisperer knows how important exercise and playtime is to a dog’s happiness. Without a proper outlet for all her energy, Ichi can get pretty destructive to my apartment (and cat). She doesn’t listen to commands, runs circles through furniture, barks at anything, and chews on everything. Playtime.. is a life saver.

When Ichi was still in puppy class, I made a point to take her to the dog park after every class. She ran and ran and ran until I dragged her back to the car, where she passed out for the rest of the day. I haven’t had the motivation recently to take her, either due to my own thing or because of the dreary weather, so she’s been stuck at home with only a small track to run through all my junk. Her frustration is also starting to show through her obedience.

This is the issue I’ve noticed with myself for a long time now. If all I do is work work work, I get bitter about it. I snap more readily, roll my eyes almost constantly, and pretty much turn into a bitch. LIfe isn’t just about work. It’s not just about playtime, though. It’s a balance act, like most everything else in life. Movie and video games every once in a while goes a long way when you’ve spent hours at work. That’s another benefit about having a puppy, though. Ichi is often my reason to leave work. Before I got her I’d be at work from 9 to 8 most days, sometimes later, sometimes earlier. And what better thing to do at home but not work? Well play with the puppy, obviously.

Peace, Love, and Tennis Balls,
Tar

P.S. - If you have some time, read my post on the events at the dog park this weekend.

No comments: