Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Day of Firsts (for Ichi, at least)

This is most likely going to be a shorter post because I need to get back to work so I can get home, but I wanted to get it down before I got lost in my own stuff again. This week is going to be crazy busy. Just insane. Anyway, this post isn't about that. It's about Ichi's day of firsts.

Saturday I had big plans. Plans that Ichi decided weren't all that thrilling to her. First I was going to take her to the dog park, something I know that she would have enjoyed, and then I was going to get my allergy shots. The order reversed from a normal Saturday, but I was planning on going to my Dungeon's and Dragons game at noon, so it made more sense this way. The game was going to end at 6 and from there my buddy Ben and I would head up to Oakland to catch The Shins in concert. I knew, however, that these plans were going to be out of whack as soon as I rolled out of bed.

My little puppy girl has become an adult dog, everyone. That's right, Ichi's had her first heat as of Saturday morning. While this is a exciting (if not a bit messy) event, it also means she can't go to the dog park for at least a month. Walking her is a little bit more of a challenge, as well. Le sigh.

This post isn't really about that, though. No.. this post is about Ichi's first chocolate bar. Hopefully, her first and last chocolate bar. Not sure how many of you know this, but chocolate is poisonous to dogs (and cats). The purer the chocolate, the worse it is. And Ichi decided to make her first chocolate experience a good one. It's really my fault for leaving the bar on the coffee table. It had been there for nearly 6 months, half eaten and open. Buried under fabric and books. Didn't stop the bored puppy. Nope, not at all. I was in the shower, totally unaware. She was apparently having a morning snack. Why she did it now after 6 months is completely lost on me.. but anyway, back to the chocolate.

I'm lucky I noticed the wrapper, otherwise I would have never known she had eaten it. Not until it was far too late. We're talking I was going to leave her home alone for 7 hours too late. After I noticed the wrapper, I called the emergency vet and talked to them about it. They recommended I bring her in, so I went ahead and did. We weren't 100% on if she had in fact ate the bar but it's always better to play it safe in these situations. More so when you consider Ichi had a pretty empty stomach. They went ahead and drugged her and emptied her stomach of what little there was in there, and sure enough, a very decent and deadly amount of dark chocolate. She's fine now, completely back up to par. Aside from a few spots on the carpet from making sure she really had an empty stomach when we got home and a dent in my back account, there was no harm done. I'd like to say she learned her lesson.. but I think, really, I'm the one that learned something.

Love, Peace, and is it really 3am?!
Tar

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As bad as chocolate is, and I always was told milk chocolate was worse than dark, grapes and raisins are equally dangerous. It doesn't manner which kind of grapes, they can cause things like hair loss and kidney problems.