Wednesday, February 8, 2006

Hi-ho, the Cherrio!!

I have no idea what that means, it just kinda came to me.

Anyway, how are ya doing this morning? I'm doing alright, just slouched down in this sorry excuse for a chair, trying to keep awake. I'm more than halfway through my shift and I've already finished one assignment and a book. I hope to get some studying done before I'm off and I have to get ready for the long day ahead.

I believe the most exciting thing that happened this weekend was my visit to the Springs. The whole gang came with me, as I stated they probably would last week, and we had a fun time touring the city. I mean, yeah, we had some tough spots, but we also had a very fun day in Manitou and the Garden of the Gods. I think the best part of the weekend was the last few hours of it where it was just Donovan, Fish, Bria and I. I'm very sad to say that the Seahawks lost, but Bria swears the Steelers cheated. I wasn't really going for anyone, I just like watching the game and commercials. We only caught the last half of it, but what I saw was good.

I'm a bit out of it for this email, I must admit. I didn't get to bed as early as I had wanted because I had an exam at 6 last night. It was Chem and I'm not the least bit worried about it. I was the second to finish, and that's just cause I waited until someone else stood up before I did. It only took me 15 minutes, I wasn't sure that was a good or bad thing. I have another exam today, Psyhc, and I just need to do some reading for it. It's going to be a memory exam, which means I just have to memorize all the facts. Considering my willingness to read lately, it shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, I've been reading a lot lately. I finished the sixth Harry Potter last week and yes, I cried like a babe. I had reread the series before I read the newest one, and I'm glad I did because I hadn't remembered a lot. I just finished Memoirs of a Geisha (I wanted to read it before I saw it), and I'm very much reminded of a book I read my freshman year. I can't remember the title, sorry Mr. H, but I remember the cover well, lol. Anyway, Memoirs is a good book, if you're into reading foreign stories.

The thing that really gets me about that book is that it's fiction. I got halfway through it before I realized that while the book was first-person, the author was a male. After reading up on it, I found out Arthur Golden wrote his story with a considerable amount of research, only one source being a geisha. The geisha he interviewed wasn't the one he wrote about, for Sayuri is an invited character. But nonetheless, he writes the story so well that I had to remind myself at the end that it was indeed fiction. Throughout the book, everything seems a bit random, barely held together through the horrible things that happen to the main character. There is an antagonist and Sayuri is obviously the protagonist, but there are also numerous character whose roles seem to be nothing and those whose seem to be everything. While the ending is slightly abrupt when compared with the elaboration of the rest of the book, it makes for a perfect, and slightly surprising, conclusion to Sayuri's life. If you have any interest in seeing the movie, I suggest reading the book first. It's a rather quick read (which isn't saying a lot considering how fast I read) and you'll be hard-pressed to put it down even at the end. I must warn, though, that considering the nature of some parts of the book, younger readers should be advised against this book. I would say 15 and above. Also, it could kinda be perceived as a chick-book, so yeah.

I'm throwing this in randomly, I know, but I want to give a shout out this week to two very important people. Firstly, everyone give it up for my mom who has now moved into a new house without almost any support in packing and unpacking. I wish I could have helped more, but thankfully I had to go back to school. Heh. Second, to Mr. H who is sadly leaving Palmer for bigger and hopefully better things. I wish ya luck beyond the stars, Hamlar.

Alright, so that was mostly an email about a book. A few final notes, if I might. First, thank you to the three people, yes three, that sent me a reply after last week's email. I must say that while I am disappointed, I'm not really surprised. Secondly, could someone please send me the email of Marsha? I know she wants to receive these, but no one has sent me her address yet. And third, though it's early:

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!!!!

Tar

No comments: